People will think what they'll think. They will say what they'll say & they will do what they'll do whether it's nice or not.
You can't control how others treat you, what they say to you or what they think of you but you can control how you'll react, think, feel and what you'll say back.
This has been on my mind lately and I have struggled with this my whole life. I am that type of person who cares greatly what others think of me. If they don't like me it hurts my feelings and it makes me feel like a horrible person even though I did nothing wrong but be nice to them. In High school I had someone who completely ignored me and was stand offish to me even though I was super nice to that person. We had a mutual friend and one day I asked that friend why this person didn't like me and the response was "You are too happy." What? Seriously? This hurt my self esteem so bad. I struggled for years to love who I was and to not be afraid to "stand out" and be different. In fact I was always happy or it seemed that way.
The response played over and over in my head for days. "You are too happy" It made me sick to my stomach that I wasn't liked because I was too happy? I had no idea at the time that people sometimes don't like happy people cause they are jealous of them.
Throughout my life I have found myself constantly striving everyday to make others happy and "trying" to please everyone around me.
Let me tell you something. You simply cannot please everyone. It's okay. People get offended all the time and even though you weren't trying to hurt their feelings they will get hurt because you are human and you cannot always keep up. It's not worth your happiness. Yes, be nice to people but if you have to go out of your way to "prove" something to them. They weren't your friend in the first place. True friends know that you aren't perfect and they will forgive you no matter what.
So here is 5 things you can control in your life no matter what.
1. Our thoughts are absolutely powerful. Thoughts will eventually turn into things. Let's hope those are good things right? I strongly believe that we will become who we think we are. Thoughts have so MUCH power and it doesn't matter what others say about us it only matters what we think of ourselves & who we know we are. If you think good things you will bring good things to you. What you think and choose to believe is all up to you. Don't let others rude comments affect who you truly are or who you can become. People will be mean for no reason at all. Just remember that.
2. Our Words express how we feel & who we are as a person. Therefore let your words reflect who you are. Don't let what people say about you hurt your feelings but instead always say nice things to others. We have complete control over what we say and enough people say negative things in this world as it is.. so please strive to always say nice things.
3. Our actions say a lot about us. If we are a jerk we will become a jerk. If we are kind we will become kind. We can choose how to react in any situation. If the weather is nasty outside will this make you a bitter person? If someone messes up on your food order will you be rude? If someone wrongs you and says they are sorry will you forgive them? Will you still forgive them even though they never apologized? It's all up to you. Our actions are huge and what we do will make us either a really happy person or the complete opposite.
4. Our reactions make the difference. Have you ever not got offended when someone was being absolutely rude to you or you agreed with them in a calm way that maybe you messed up? I have and let me tell you it ticks them off and you can see it in their eyes. It also confuses the crap out of them and usually they will leave you alone cause they don't know how to get your goat. In other words be a jerk to you. People will always find ways to criticize and tear you down. Decide how you'll react ahead of time. This concept not only applies to what people say or do to us but it applies to everything in life. For instance don't let a bad day affect your whole outlook on life.
5. Our future is what we hold on to. It's what we look forward to. It should be anyways if it's not. I know we can't control what exactly will happen in the future but we can decide how to make the best out of it no matter what. You can control how you will feel. Just because you have a few bad years financially? relationships? Marriage? The list goes on. It does not mean you have a bad life. Also your past is not your future. Learn from your past & let it encourage to be better whether that be as in a person, career, goal, education and, parent. Your future is ultimately up to you. Just remember that life doesn't have to be perfect to be absolutely wonderful.
As we do these 5 things we will have control over our life no matter what. When we allow people to offend us or allow the weather to ruin our day we are allowing other things to take our happiness away from us. Don't let anyone or anything choose that for you. You are in charge of your own happiness.
"If you want to, you can find a million reasons to hate life and be angry at the world, or, if you want, you could find a million reasons to love life and be happy. Choose wisely." - Cari Welsh
The choice is yours.
All our love,
The Webster Clan!<3